[RVGL Release] 20.0905a

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
Huki
Developer

[RVGL Release] 20.0905a

Unread post by Huki » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 pm

RVGL has been updated to 20.0905a!

Update:
Download Win32 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Win64 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Linux [ setup | 7z ]
Download Android [ apk ]

Visit the topics for the Android version and the Shader edition for more information.

Goodies:
Download the Dreamcast Pack: rvgl_dcpack.7z
Download the Community Soundtrack: soundtrack.zip
Download the Controller Map Android app: rvgl_controllermap.apk
More about the update and RVGL: changelog | docs

Full game downloads are available at distribute.re-volt.io.

Image The network version has been updated!

Level Properties: There are a couple of features focused on levels that have an animated start grid (think of a platform that moves up or down at start).
  • Reposition behaves differently in Time Trial and Stunt Arena. Here, the car is directly reset to the start grid. In normal races on the other hand, the car is reset on top of an AI node. There is now an *.inf key STARTGRIDRESET to customize this behavior.

Code: Select all

STARTGRIDRESET  1  ; Grid reset behavior (0: node reset, 1: grid reset)

When this is set to 0 (node reset), the car is reset to an AI node above the start grid rather than directly on the start grid. This can prevent the car from falling into space in case there was a platform at the start grid and it has since moved away. The default value is 1 (grid reset). The option is currently only applicable in Time Trial mode, but it could be extended to Stunt Arena in a future update.
  • Object animations were synchronized in multiplayer by having them start only after the countdown. Animations can now specify a PreCountdown flag to disable this synchronization and let this animation start before the countdown. The online docs have an updated sample file that contains this flag. Use this option carefully: only use them for animations that finish well before the countdown ends (i.e., animation should end in 3-4 seconds).
Items in properties.txt now support custom slots in addition to overriding default IDs. For example, you're no longer required to replace one of the default material, dust or spark entries. Instead, you can customize one of the user slots. These are the new limits:
  • 64 Materials
  • 32 Corrugations
  • 32 Dusts
  • 64 Sparks
  • 32 Trails
As before, get the updated sample properties.txt from the online docs.

The 3D Sound object (Objects edit mode) has new options. It has:
  • A Mode option that can be Continuous, Random or Play Once.
  • A Start Time option, effective only in Play Once mode; sets the number of seconds to wait before this sound is played.
There are some fixes too:
  • Several TRAIL properties were not read correctly by the game. This is fixed.
  • For Sparks and Trails, TexturePage can be set to -1 to disable texturing.
  • Cars on top of animated platforms no longer fall through upon reposition.
Video Updates: This release includes several stability and compatibility fixes, updated ANGLE libs and a new ANGLE D3D11 profile. For Windows 10 users, there is a change in the application manifest to ensure better compatibility with Intel drivers. This means native OpenGL support should now work (no more pesky "OpenGL 2.0" errors, hopefully).

Further, the game automatically attempts fallback modes when device creation fails. It works like this:
  • By default, try the OpenGL 2.0 shader renderer.
  • Then, try the ANGLE Direct3D backend (Windows).
  • Then, fall back to the OpenGL legacy renderer.
There is also a new video profile for ANGLE D3D11. In rvgl.ini, setting 'Profile = 3' initializes ANGLE D3D with an ES2 profile for wider compatibility. You can now set 'Profile = 4' to enforce D3D11 with an ES3 profile. This unlocks OpenGL ES 3.0 level features, like UBO and the ability to disable mipmap generation, and should be more stable. Use 'Profile = 4' if you're running at least Windows 7 with a DirectX 10 level GPU. Otherwise, use 'Profile = 3'.

Other changes include:
  • New ANGLE libs based on the Chrome 69 branch. These are compatible with Windows XP and above.
  • Launching the game in fullscreen should be faster and flicker-free.
Base and Pref Path: The game can now have the base data path and preferences path separated. This is an optional feature and is enabled through the command line. The base path is where the game looks for the base game data, including levels, cars and strings. By default, this is the folder where the game is run from. Set a custom base path with the '-basepath <path>' command line.

The pref path contains game saves and configuration files. These folders belong to the pref path:
  • cache
  • profiles
  • replays
  • times
These folders are automatically created when they are missing. You can set a custom pref path with the '-prefpath <path>' command line. If you simply specify '-prefpath' without any path, the system default is used. This is somewhere like:
  • "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\RVGL" (Windows)
  • "~/.local/share/RVGL" (Linux)
Android Updates:
  • The app now targets API 28 (Android 9) and supports the runtime permission model.
  • The minimum supported version is now Android 3.1. Support for the ARMv5 32-bit architecture has been removed (minimum is now ARMv7).
  • OGG vorbis uses an integer decoder (Tremor) on both 32-bit and 64-bit ARM devices.
  • There is better controller support and HIDAPI support, thanks to an updated SDL2.
  • The RVGL Controller Map configuration app is likewise updated.
Upgraded Libraries: The following libraries were upgraded:
  • SDL2 -> 2.0.12
  • SDL_image -> 2.0.5
  • ENet -> 1.3.15
  • OpenAL Soft -> 1.20.1 (Windows)
  • OpenAL Soft -> 1.19.1 (Android)
  • GLAD -> 2.0.0-beta
Other Changes:
  • Replays: Each saved replay file has a race results CSV saved alongside. Launch times should be faster thanks to optimized replay files searching at startup.
  • Online: AI cars difficulty is once again taken into account in online races. Game should be more stable in levels that have objects like wobbly cone and football.
  • Editor: Zones editor now shows whether a car has gone outside zone. The modern Zones editor now uses N key to toggle AI nodes display. Previously, this feature was only available in the legacy editor. Also fixed an inability to deselect triggers in legacy editor, and a visibility issue when drawing lines in shader mode.
  • Additional stock cars (those not part of the stack like Clockworks and UFO) can now have custom carbox textures.
  • Several other bug fixes.
► Show changelog of this version

Re: [RVGL Release] 20.0905a

Unread post by 607 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:59 am

Lots of stability improvements, I like it!
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 am

Huki wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 pm There is now an *.inf key STARTGRIDRESET to customize this behavior.
Ideally it would be to have more customizable reset in time trial, like 3rd option: start grid - x nodes, where x would represent a number selected by user which would place him in front of the start line. It would allow to restart time trial hunting without additional effort to go back to gain distance and speed before timer triggers.
SDeG
pavlovic

Unread post by pavlovic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:53 am

Idk is it something with my pc but this wasn't case with 430 version, for me. Shut down sound in video, i forgot radio to turn off https://streamable.com/6771ul
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:31 pm

pavlovic wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:53 am Idk is it something with my pc but this wasn't case with 430 version, for me. Shut down sound in video, i forgot radio to turn off https://streamable.com/6771ul
It doesn't happen on my Windows 7 (64-bit) system. Does a system restart fix it? I need to see a log from your game.
Also, double check that you extracted all files from the new version, overwriting previous files.
pavlovic

Unread post by pavlovic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Well i forgot to mention it, i am using 32bit system and yes, everything is installed properly, there was no problems with patch. Restarting isn't really help anything in this case, i'll send you log from /profiles, i guess that one you need - https://easyupload.io/w5d2ta
Kipy

Unread post by Kipy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:40 pm

First of all, thank you for your hard work, you're doing great!

Do you plan to replace or reactivate the not working nodes (shortcut, longcut, turbo line, long pickup route) or include new ones?
Also is it possible to make AI possible to recognize obstacles (rock, balls, tumbleweeds etxc) despite how the nodes are placed?
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm

pavlovic wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:50 pm Well i forgot to mention it, i am using 32bit system and yes, everything is installed properly, there was no problems with patch. Restarting isn't really help anything in this case, i'll send you log from /profiles, i guess that one you need - https://easyupload.io/w5d2ta
Place this in your RVGL folder (latest version) and overwrite the existing file:
openal-soft-1.19.1-win32.zip

Does that change anything?
pavlovic

Unread post by pavlovic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Huki wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm Place this in your RVGL folder (latest version) and overwrite the existing file:
openal-soft-1.19.1-win32.zip

Does that change anything?
Sorry for late response, i was off this days. And yes, this actually changed things, it closing process imidiately, thanks alot!
Black-Revolt001

Unread post by Black-Revolt001 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm

What would be good is to have 2 different lines of the circuit mode type for normal and reverse mode.

Code: Select all

GAMETYPE    0  ; Track type (0:default, 1:battle, 2:stunt, 3:frontend, 4:sprint)
GAMETYPEREV    4  ; Track type (0:default, 1:battle, 2:stunt, 3:frontend, 4:sprint)
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:37 pm

Thanks so much Huki and everyone involved in this project it now works on windows 10 I love it