[RVGL Release] 20.0430a

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
Huki
Developer

[RVGL Release] 20.0430a

Unread post by Huki » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:07 pm

RVGL has been updated to 20.0430a!

Update:
Download Win32 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Win64 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Linux [ setup | 7z ]
Download Android [ apk ]

Visit the topics for the Android version and the Shader edition for more information.

Goodies:
Download the Dreamcast Pack: rvgl_dc_pack.7z (updated this time)
Download the Community Soundtrack: soundtrack.zip
Download the Controller Map Android app: rvgl_controller_map.apk
More about the update and RVGL: changelog | docs

Full game downloads are available at distribute.re-volt.io.

Image The network version has been updated!

Level Obtain Support: Levels can now have unlocking conditions, quite similar to what's possible with cars. (#1233) Use the new *.inf keyword OBTAIN.

Code: Select all

OBTAIN    0  ; Obtain level (-1:Never, 0:Default, 1...5)
To learn more about how it works and what the different values mean, consult the documentation.

Persistent Material Sounds: There is support for assigning a sound effect to each material, which is played when the car is driving on the material. (#264) A new parameter 'DefaultSound' is available for each MATERIAL section in properties.txt. This works similar to 'SkidSound' and 'ScrapeSound'. To learn more, check the properties.txt documentation and also the sample file.

Wind Properties: Wind force field properties are now configurable through a new properties.txt section. Wind can be set to affect objects only (default behavior) or both objects and cars. They can either expand to cover the entire world (default behavior) or take the actual size of the force field. To learn more, check the properties.txt documentation and the sample file.

Reversed Customization: Level textures can now have dedicated reversed variants. Place these textures in 'custom\reversed', and they'll be used by the game in reversed mode:
  • custom\reversed\<level>xx.bmp
  • custom\reversed\fxpage[1-3].bmp
For a complete list of reversed customizable files and textures, consult the documentation.

Stocks Customization: The default cars and levels parameters are now editable. (#1228) All *.inf values including the NAME and GAMETYPE can be edited, and the same applies to car parameters. You could, for example, make Rotor selectable by the CPU, or other funky stuff. Because values are now read from the *.inf and parameters.txt, several stock files needed to be updated. This release includes updated files, so be sure to replace the old files.

DC Pack Update: The Dreamcast content pack is updated with revised BigVolt and Groovster textures. This fixes pure-black issues in Groovster's wheels. BigVolt has improved text on the windshield and thicker AMA text on the sides. Additional skins for BigVolt and Groovster were already updated during the April I/O pack update. This updates the stock textures.

Vintage Mode: If you miss the old are Re-Volt, there are a few options that let you relive the nostalgia:
  • If the Dreamcast Pack is not installed, and CupDC is not turned on in profile.ini, Rooftops is now hidden from the Track Selection screen and Progress Table.
  • There is a profile.ini key 'FinalCam' that can be set to 0 to disable the Dreamcast style race finish cam (that uses Replay camera nodes). The close-up rotating camera is always used, similar to the original PC version.
  • Single User Mode: You can disable profiles altogether by setting 'UseProfiles' to 0 in rvgl.ini. The game will automatically load the last active profile (if one exists) and profile selection will be hidden from the UI. If no profile was previously created, a profile named 'player' is created automatically.
  • The Probe Intro Sequence can be disabled. If the 'intro' folder is missing, or OBTAIN is set to -1 in 'intro.inf', the game attempts to load a static intro slide (devlogo3[a-c].bmp) in place of the animated sequence. You could place your own intro slides in devlogo2*.bmp and devlogo3*.bmp.
Other Changes:
  • Added new gallery pages contributed by MightyCucumber, for a grand total of 20.
  • The frequency of multiple jumps in Battle Tag is restricted to prevent cheating. Double jumps are still possible, but not more than that.
  • Adaptive V-Sync: The V-Sync option can now be set to On, Off or Adaptive. When set to Adaptive, the driver syncs to vertical blank only when the frame rate is above the refresh rate. V-Sync is dynamically disabled if the frame rate falls below the refresh rate. This option is only available on Windows and Linux.
  • Android: The Center HUD option is now accessible from the menu. Use it to bring the UI elements and the overlay controls closer to the center on wider devices.
  • A setting to enable or disable Force Feedback for each controller individually is added in Controller Settings.
  • Mouse controls are improved: The steering Range and Deadzone settings are now taken into account for the mouse axis configured for steering.
Bug Fixes:
  • Editor Fixes: This release fixes a crash in Instances mode when using the legacy editor, and a Cam Nodes linking bug in the modern editor. An issue with AI Nodes distances computation (circuit *.fan files have some 0 distance nodes) was also fixed.
  • The rail camera direction was only updated if the camera was in rail cam mode at the time the car entered the trigger box. In other cases (eg, car was already inside the trigger box at race start and F5 is pressed), the direction set in the rail cam node was ignored. This is now fixed.
  • A bug in replay mode where the car twitches immediately after flipping upright is fixed.
  • Setting 'AnimateRearview' to 0 in profile.ini completely disables the Rearview animation.
  • Android: Fixed color band artifacts when Frame Buffer Antialiasing is used (on GLES3 devices).
  • Online: Custom animation objects are now synced at start in multiplayer.
► Show changelog of this version
revolting1

Re: [RVGL Release] 20.0430a

Unread post by revolting1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Incredible, I can't believe there was an option to do multiple jumps on tag, sadly I never got to try it.

Also it is cool that on linux if you had previously installed another version you don't need to run setup script again simply copy and paste this update to your rvgl folder and keep revolting
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:33 pm

I gotta say its pretty impressive now with Vsync on and fence objects to reduce input lag and disabled threaded for loading opengl, even though threaded is disabled it loads fast because of the use of fence objects also my laptop runs cooler, before it would run hot as soon as I'd run rvgl, ramping the fan to full speed, now it only ramps up occasionally, thanks so much Huky you are the best,

I'm running lubuntu 19.10 and I have been trying several ways to use the command line options but to no avail, can someone describe how to use them on linux, I miss how easy it was on windows to enable them through a shortcut but I don't know how to do it on linux
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Isn't it just, for example

rvgl -nointro
in the terminal?
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 pm

I think the easiest way to do it would be to run from terminal, yes. The default location for rvgl is ~/.rvgl, assuming you've installed it there, you can launch it this way:
1. Open your terminal app.
2. Type

~/.rvgl/rvgl -nointro -sessionlog
(just an example, use the arguements you would like in place of nointro and sessionlog).
3. [OPTIONAL] I recommend setting up an ALIAS in your .bashrc file (can be found in your home directory). Add something like this to the end of the file:

alias rvgl='~/RVGL/rvgl -sessionlog -savereplays -tvtime -nopause -showping'
After this, open your terminal, and type

. ~/.bashrc
This will reload the file. Afterwards, you can just type "rvgl" into your terminal, and launch with your set of options. ;)
HAJDUC DOT COM
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:38 am

Yeh it worked thanks duc