Max number of cars per track

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Dubon

Max number of cars per track

Unread post by Dubon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm

I remember I read that the problem with increasing number of cars is that the starting position is usually built for 12 cars, so adding cars can cause problems with starting pos in some tracks.
So is it make sense to make it one of the track properties, when the default is 12 (or 16.. whatever)?
Maybe also property for max number of columns in starting pos (like clockwork).

Re: Max number of cars per track

Unread post by 607 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:58 am

I think that people making new tracks always take 16 cars into account, and old tracks won't have this track property. 12 definitely shouldn't be the default for tracks not having the property, as in that case old tracks wouldn't be playable with 16 cars anymore despite almost all of them (even most Lego tracks) working fine with it.
Dubon

Unread post by Dubon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:47 pm

607 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:58 am I think that people making new tracks always take 16 cars into account, and old tracks won't have this track property. 12 definitely shouldn't be the default for tracks not having the property, as in that case old tracks wouldn't be playable with 16 cars anymore despite almost all of them (even most Lego tracks) working fine with it.
Then 16 is fine. The idea it to make it possible to make tracks for more cars.

Unread post by 607 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

Dubon wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:47 pm Then 16 is fine. The idea it to make it possible to make tracks for more cars.
I see. I wasn't aware of one of the main reasons for not wanting to increase the maximum number of cars even further being the starting grids being difficult to sort out, but it could be true.