News and announcements about RVGL's development.
- Posts: 393
by Huki » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 pm
RVGL is a cross-platform rewrite / port of Re-Volt that runs natively on both Windows and GNU/Linux and uses modern, open source components to power it. It uses OpenGL for graphics, OpenAL Soft for audio, SDL2 for input and platform specific support, and ENet for networking. We have playable builds for Windows, GNU/Linux, Android and macOS on x86 and ARM hardware.
Get the latest RVGL build from the links below:
rvgl_23.0501a2 [ win32 | win64 | linux | macos | android | dcpack | changelog ]
Full game releases are available at Re-Volt I/O.
New renderer based on programmable shaders: RVGL - Shader Edition
Android version: RVGL on Android
► Installation steps for Windows
- Download the win32 or win64 installer setup, depending on your system.
- Run it and follow the on-screen instructions. The setup will automatically set required folder permissions, update registry keys and create a Desktop shortcut.
- You can now launch the RVGL shortcut on your Desktop, or run rvgl.exe from your game folder.
- It is possible to manually extract files from the executable without running it (you might have to install 7-zip first). This is intended for advanced users only.
► Installation steps for GNU/Linux
- Download the Linux 7-zip archive and extract it to your Re-Volt folder.
- Run the setup script from your game folder (you might have to set execute permissions in order to do this). The setup script will automatically rename data files to lower-case, set the necessary file and executable permissions, and create an RVGL application launcher.
- Install dependencies required by RVGL, if necessary. See the documentation for detailed steps.
- You'll now be able to launch RVGL from the applications menu or using the rvgl script in your game folder. Depending on your system, this will start either the 32-bit or 64-bit RVGL.
- Note that when you install additional custom content like tracks or cars, you may have to run the included fix_cases script in order to fix file names.
► Installation steps for macOS
- Multiplayer & lobby support [done]
- Texture formats (png / jpg) [done]
- 64-bit native compile [done]
- Unicode (utf-8) support [ongoing]
- Shader based OpenGL implementation [ongoing]
- Mobile / handheld versions [ongoing]
- Providing easy to use Linux package / Windows installer [done]
- Documentation / Tutorials / etc. to encourage more custom content
- Integrating DC and demo content [done]