[RVGL Release] 21.0125a

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
Huki
Developer

[RVGL Release] 21.0125a

Unread post by Huki » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm

RVGL has been updated to 21.0125a!

Update:
Download Win32 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Win64 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Linux [ setup | 7z ]
Download macOS [ dmg ]
Download Android [ apk ]

Visit the topics for the Android version and the Shader edition for more information.

Goodies:
Download the Dreamcast Pack: rvgl_dcpack.zip
Download the Community Soundtrack: soundtrack.zip
Download the Controller Map Android app: rvgl_controllermap.apk
More about the update and RVGL: changelog | docs

Full game downloads are available at Re-Volt I/O.

Image The network version has been updated!

macOS Release
RVGL is now available on macOS for the first time, thanks to frarees. He is a new addition to our dev team and also happens to be an old member of this community. Some of you might remember him as ADX. Welcome back, frarees!

This is a universal build that requires macOS 10.9 or above, and runs natively on Intel 64-bit and Apple M1 hardware. Documentation specific to the macOS release is available here.

Go to Downloads page.

Custom Cup Improvements
A lot of issues regarding custom cups support have been addressed. Custom cups are no longer rejected because of invalid class table entries. It's automatically fixed up for you. You'll see a warning message in the log file along with the fixed class table. If a custom cup appears locked, there are now two clear reasons:
  • The author has set it to be locked (using the OBTAIN key).
  • You don't have one of the tracks used by the cup.
Custom cups have also got a couple of other features:
  • Support for negative point values and zero tries.
  • Game no longer crashes when there aren't enough cars in a class.
  • Custom skins are selected by AI cars.
  • Take screenshot (F8) without skipping the points table.
Other Changes:
  • Android has a full game build available. Go to Downloads page.
  • Missing game data is handled gracefully instead of bombarding the user with error messages. All non-critical errors are now logged instead of showing a message box.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed unfinished players marked as finished in the session log. (#1402)
  • Fixed crash caused by memory corruption in some custom tracks (this affects players that have UBO turned on).
  • Fixed crash when level has no *.ncp or when a hull file is empty.
  • Editor: Fixed a portal rendering issue in legacy renderer.

[hide=Show changelog of this version]
21.0125a:
| Bug-fix release.
| Pumped network version.

Add:
  [General]
  - Initial macOS release: Supports OSX 10.9 and above on 64-bit Intel and M1 
    architectures.

Mod:
  [General]:
  - Packs: The packlist file included with RVGL is renamed "sample.txt" so it 
    doesn't overwrite the default packlist.
  - Cups: Invalid class table entries are automatically fixed up instead of 
    rejecting the cup file.
  - Cups: Support for zero tries and negative point values.
  - Cups: Custom skins can be selected by CPU cars.
  - Improved handling of missing game data. Display a helpful warning and avoid 
    too many message boxes or game crashing.
  [Input]
  - Pressing F8 to take a screenshot no longer skips championship end screen.
  - Updated SDL GameController mapping files.

Fix:
  [General]
  - Cups: Fixed crash when not enough cars are available in a class.
  - Fixed unfinished players marked as finished in the session log.
  - Fixed crash and glitches when no level collision data is found or an empty 
    car hull file is present.
  [Graphics]
  - Fixed crash caused by memory corruption when loading zero polygon meshes.
  - Editor: Fixed portal rendering issue in legacy renderer.
[/hide]
AMB1976

Re: [RVGL Release] 21.0125a

Unread post by AMB1976 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Good morning Huki, thanks for your updates...

I ask you if it's technically possible to have a saving stock/custom cup option after the standings to continue my cup in another session...and if there is a possibility to implement an option to complete all stages in a cup even if I don't finish in the first 3 positions in every race (for example to see the final rankings at the end of the last stage)?
Thanks...
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:53 pm

Great job!
Now my packs/cups work properly.
I was about to write on issues I ran into with a cup when I saw this update.
I was getting continuous black screen while loading a cup/pack set, but now after the update all seems fine.
SDeG
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 am

I gotta say truly amazing Frarees, loads really fast on Mac thanks so much.
AMB1976

Unread post by AMB1976 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi, I know I can be annoying and persistent, but to me saving cups and mostly continuing the championship without necessarily having to get to the top three to advance is essential, both to avoid being forced to start and finish in a single day, especially for tournaments with 10/15 levels, and consequently to participate in all levels, thus really seeing in the end who comes first in the final standings. For example, do I finish fifth? ok I'll take two or three points but I'll go on to compete ... I will not have raced well in that single race, but I still have a chance to win in the end ... I hope not to bore you, but to me a championship like this is much more exciting rather than having to stop at the first level just because I didn't get to the podium ... I only want to know if this option is possible, thanks
Kipy

Unread post by Kipy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:01 am

This one is surely interesting idea. I've also been thinking that limitation of championships' continuing could be also optional or erased. Custom championships are already give a reason to this possibility to being made.
My two cents only.
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:31 am

yeah like changing the question to you did not come out third at least, you have 3 trys left, do you wanna continue with as "x" place? or give it another try?
AMB1976

Unread post by AMB1976 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:56 am

Yes, I agree with both of you! what you said would be great! Which menu could this option be placed in?

I thought a good place could be after the standings near the replay options. But I don't want to play know-it-all... :D :D :D

I just wanted to give a suggestion that could improve the cup competition by increasing its adrenaline but to make it real I trust in Huki's work and in all those of this community who'll support him to make these incredible updates that will give longevity to the game , making it arguably the most enduring one in history ... :re-volt:
MidiGuyDP

Unread post by MidiGuyDP » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:06 am

Heya! I just saw this update, and I'm really excited for the Custom Cup feature! Really cool stuff!

I definitely would like to also encourage having an option to adjust what position is required to qualify to get to the next races, so any number between 1 & 16 (Or the lowest rank depending on the amount of cars in the Cup) would be put in there.

Also, I had another idea that could be cool, where you could create even more themed cups, such as specifically selecting which CPU cars you'd go against, or perhaps assigning an alternate song for the track itself.

Also perhaps an option to block the player from skipping to the results screen for the sake of just letting the CPU finish and see what place they'd get in. (Though probably not block forever, since sometimes the CPU can get stuck, and if that would happen you'd get softlocked lol XD)

But yeah, really cool! Loving that feature ^^

(Also setting negative points is hilarious! XD)

But Yes, I'd say the most important feature of all that would definitely be the ability to adjust the rank needed to qualify for the next race. ^^
AMB1976

Unread post by AMB1976 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:48 am

Hi, I noticed that when playing a custom cup with lots of stages, the ranking after a few races overlaps with other elements of the HUD such as the frame rate or the gap indicator, down in the left part of the screen... is it possible to reduce the ranking window in order to show for example only the points obtained and the won races for each competitor? In my opinion, it's not essential to know if a car has finished 14th or 15th in a race, but points and victories could be enough and the hud could be rationalized...I'd like to post a screenshot here but i don't know how to do it...

Anyway I thank all who have appreciated my previous suggestions...
dotsam

Unread post by dotsam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 pm

Awesome to see a native macOS release. I had run previous versions without too much trouble under WINE, but a native app is great. This release does seem to have a bug though, at least on M1 Macs.

When attempting to run the app, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/frarees/Desktop/finaldeps/webp-1.1.0/lib/libwebp.7.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/RVGL.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL2_image-2.0.0.dylib
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6
Taking a closer look, I can indeed see that there is a hard-coded path to the libwebp library, and that the library wasn't included in the .app bundle. I've fixed this by installing webp from homebrew, and using the install_name_tool utility to change the library reference path.

Approximate steps for someone else to follow:

Code: Select all

brew install webp
cd /Application/RVGL.app/Contents/Frameworks
cp /opt/homebrew/Cellar/webp/1.2.0/lib/libwebp.7.dylib .
install_name_tool -change /Users/frarees/Desktop/finaldeps/webp-1.1.0/lib/libwebp.7.dylib @executable_path/../Frameworks/libwebp.7.dylib libSDL2_image-2.0.0.dylib
rocknroll237

Unread post by rocknroll237 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 am

I too would absolutely love to have an option to compete in a championship without having to come 3rd or better in order to progress. Awesome to see custom cups being implemented, great job!
AMB1976

Unread post by AMB1976 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 am

Hi, in addition to my previous suggestions I would like to know from Huki or from anyone if the hud is modifiable, both to avoid overlaps between the ranking windows and for example the gap indicator in case you have to play many races, and to optimize the screen (for example to put the laps counter on the right of the screen under the lap times in order to free the left part and use it perhaps to extend the window gap indicator upwards showing more cars and more distances between them as in the style of live TV in f1 races ... (if you were using the weapons, the gap indicator could reach maybe halfway on the left side of the screen so as not to overlap it; if you didn't use them, you could maybe extend it to the top) ... are all these things technically feasible or is it just a waste of time?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:39 pm

It would be nice to have splitscreen on 2 different PCs and to compete on both against each other (WAN/LAN), like this:

PC1 - splitscreen with 2 players A & B
|
PC2 - splitscreen with 2 players C & D

With players A, B, C and D racing against each other (incl. AI opponents), maybe even extending this to 4 players on each device. Is this possible?

Oh, and splitscreen on Android would be huge. :D
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Wow, I've been gone for so long and now we got custom cups?! That's really amazing!

Just wish you could edit the default cups... (or maybe you can and I don't know?)

I also really like the idea from the previous comments, about not forcing you to arrive over 3rd to continue.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 am

Besides the possibility of playing with 4 people on 2 devices, it would be cool to see the tracks as thumbs also on the track selection menu when going from a race to another.
Zeino

Unread post by Zeino » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:03 am

mrroblinx wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm Just wish you could edit the default cups... (or maybe you can and I don't know?)
It was possible for long time now, but it requires renaming the track you want to play with a track that is played with the cup (E.g. i'd replace toys in the hood 1 with rooftops, i'd have to rename the rooftops files to toys in the hood1 files etc.). I think the default cups are hardcoded so this is the only way haha.
Also is pog to see you again my dude!
i drive bendor and

mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Zeino wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:03 am
It was possible for long time now, but it requires renaming the track you want to play with a track that is played with the cup (E.g. i'd replace toys in the hood 1 with rooftops, i'd have to rename the rooftops files to toys in the hood1 files etc.). I think the default cups are hardcoded so this is the only way haha.
Also is pog to see you again my dude!
I know about that method, that's what I've been doing for years. The only problem is that it's impossible to change the lap count and what tracks are mirrored or reversed, so choosing the right tracks becomes a huge problem.

It's nice to see you again too :)
SnakyCurve330

Unread post by SnakyCurve330 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:50 pm

It seems to be the last version compatible with Windows XP