HowTo for track editor (MAKEITGOOD)?

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
7wells

HowTo for track editor (MAKEITGOOD)?

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Hello!

I have started with the -dev option and began playing with new objects, e.g. adding new pickups on the first standard track. I looked on the Internet for guides, but most show keys that do nothing here (RVGL on Windows 10), some keys have different functions, and so I think that those guides are outdated. Yes, I know that depending on the OS settings, it might be necessary to hold the FN key for standard F-key functions. ;)

A few basic questions for me as beginner:

When I save a modified track with CTRL+S, it says SAVED, and I can race on the new track with the new/modified objects. But it seems that the original track (Toys in the Hood) has been overwritten. How could I give a new name instead when saving?

Which guides would you recommend for reading to learn more about the track editor? I am not a fan of YouTube instructions (often too fast and without voice) but prefer reading. ;)

Thank you so much for your help. :)
Manmountain

Re: HowTo for track editor?

Unread post by Manmountain » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:17 pm

Some basic editing tips here : The ReVolt Workbench
Quite old, but a good place to start.
VaidX47
Administrator

Re: HowTo for track editor?

Unread post by VaidX47 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 am

Documentation for modern RVGL MAKEITGOOD editor keybinds: https://re-volt.gitlab.io/rvgl-docs/adv ... ern-editor

Legacy control scheme can be changed back by setting LegacyEditorControls to 1 in your profiles\rvgl.ini file.

---
7wells wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm When I save a modified track with CTRL+S, it says SAVED, and I can race on the new track with the new/modified objects. But it seems that the original track (Toys in the Hood) has been overwritten. How could I give a new name instead when saving?
Duplicate your track and rename all its track files first before starting on working with MAKEITGOOD (-dev mode) editors. Never modify stock content, unless you understand what you're changing. With the new RVGL pack feature, you can avoid replacing content by accident, if it's set correctly, modifications would be put in packs\local\....
These editors are designed to work on a running track, so such things as "save as" won't exist. They do make one file backup per type though, file extension ends with "-".
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
7wells

Re: HowTo for track editor (MAKEITGOOD)?

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks to all of you for your helpful hints!
Which method would you recommend for new tracks? Learn first steps with Blender or something else?