Dev mode "enhancements"

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
7ndrew

Dev mode "enhancements"

Unread post by 7ndrew » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm

Here are some ideas on how I'd make dev mode a little more convenient to use for car makers
  • A visual indicator for CoM for cars - a dot, cross, etc.
    • The orbit camera is locked to the CoM, but it doesn't make it easy to tell where the CoM actually is
  • Free camera (F6) control scheme revamp
    • Right now E is for forward, Q for backwards, W for up and S for down - EQ and WS should be swapped imo, I find this a very unconventional control scheme
    • Alternatively allow for custom camera control remapping
  • An option to make the hull model and the spheres visible, like the track wireframes or something similar
  • A button that force stops the car and prevents it from rolling
I converted a 240SX and it changes bodykits with its skins :thonkingintensifies:
Ato

Re: Dev mode "enhancements"

Unread post by Ato » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:10 am

> A visual indicator for CoM
Yes, but optional, please - some of us use dev mode for offline races, casue there are soem special cars working right only in dev mode.

Greetz,
Ato
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:34 am

7ndrew wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm Free camera (F6) control scheme revamp
Right now E is for forward, Q for backwards, W for up and S for down - EQ and WS should be swapped imo, I find this a very unconventional control scheme
This is already supported using the LegacyCameraControls ini key (see this doc section).
7ndrew wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 pm An option to make the hull model and the spheres visible, like the track wireframes or something similar
For now, you can at least see body and wheel bounding spheres using the Car BBoxes option (Options -> Video Settings -> Render Settings in dev mode).

There is also an undocumented feature to display the car's axes (when you're in the game, blindly type showaxes). I believe this will show you axes projected from the CoM.
7ndrew

Unread post by 7ndrew » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Huki wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:34 am
This is already supported using the LegacyCameraControls ini key (see this doc section).
Huh, I didn't know that. Apparently I had it enabled by default.
Huki wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:34 am For now, you can at least see body and wheel bounding spheres using the Car BBoxes option (Options -> Video Settings -> Render Settings in dev mode).
I'm aware of that feature but I don't really understand how the bounding box works or what it represents. I have been using it for the wheel radius tho.
Huki wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:34 am There is also an undocumented feature to display the car's axes (when you're in the game, blindly type showaxes). I believe this will show you axes projected from the CoM.
That's very useful to know, thanks!
I converted a 240SX and it changes bodykits with its skins :thonkingintensifies: