Multiple parameters?

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Gel38

Multiple parameters?

Unread post by Gel38 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:33 am

Had an idea for RVGL. I thought, we have a texture select for cars. Couldn't there be a parametes select also?

For example, the original Parameters,txt points to a maximum of 2 other parameters sets (custom names can be used) however the base params are always used to point to the other (thus they are always being run, and the secondary params, certain sections, would work on an override protocol)

This would allow things like (i'm a fan of it) real car params, race params (for an otherwise mundane car) or even slower versions. Also more easily allowing a cross-class car instead of filling up your folders with 1000's of car folders just to have different versions.

But in the name of the cars it would be said if a certain parameter is being run by displaying the name of that param. Or under the name.
AM-Bio Design Car and Level Design.
Don't let the car drive you. You drive the car. - American Motors Bio Motto

American Motors Bio
Ato

Re: Multiple parameters?

Unread post by Ato » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 am

It would be easier to handle this like the skins are currently handled: parameters.txt, parameters2.txt etc.
Selectable with up-down keys, for example.

But:
Since you mentioned real car parameters, I think what you also need is a way to switch the entire racing set from e.g. real car paramters to RC parameters (RL / RC) and back, depending on the track. This would be way more difficlt to implement within game engine, but actually quite easy to do yourself. It’s what I’m curently doing: I just zipped up my “garage” as two separate archives and then deleted everything but the parameters.txt files from them. So, one zip contains the RC params for all my cars, the other contains RL params, and then I just unzip them with “overwrite all / yes” prompt.
Of course, this only makes sense if the “garage” is of manageable size. (I have about 50-60 vehicles, all of which I’m regularly using).

Greetz,
Ato
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm

@Ato,
Surely the Real life params are for the player to use against the AI ?
If you change the whole garage to real life params then the AI may not be as challenging.
So you would only need a player param set toggle that would show alternate params if available.

@ Gel38, (long time no chat dude ! lol)
This basically boils down to driving with a preferred feel/set of params rather than anything to do with the AI right ?
So IMHO unless you are wanting to encourage a lot of re-editing of cars there will be very few new submissions with alternate real life params, sorry, but I am intrigued with the idea.
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:35 am

@Manmountain to me
The AI can also be tuned for RC and RL separately, CityWalker made that pretty simple. So they remain challenging this way, as a whole set. Besides, all the easy cars (not unconventional or otherwise crazy) remain manageable for the AI even after making them RL, at least if using CityWalker's simple way (see below).

@Manmountain to Gel
The cars don't have to be all RC / RL, Gel mentioned other types of parameter variants too.

(Besides, CityWalker also proposed a very simple method to RC to RL parameter change: EngineRate x 0.04, 1st Inertia x 2.5, 2nd and 3rd Inertia x 3. Works for most normal cars.)

(Disclaimer: I know I'm referencing her a lot, but she did make a lot of well-working methods).

Greetz,
Ato
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:06 pm

@Ato
Sorry, but RL handling for the player can not always be utilised by the AI and provide the same challenge.
Citywalkers tips are to provide a happy medium.
A personal preference handling may not always provide a reliable AI.
Gel38

Unread post by Gel38 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:34 pm

@ato

You slightly misunderstand what I mean. RL params are just another set of parameters. I only suggested RL params, as it is a style of params, vs RC params. What i proposed was a param selector. (Multiple params which are selectable for one car) This doesn't include switching your whole garage over to RL or RC params. Think of it as tuning your car in Forza for different tracks. You save it, and reload it when you're on that track.

If you look at alot of my more recent cars (am-bio zlr-1, amb decimator (also the gt pack), eradicator, dunny RS) i made all of those cars with RL params. And i have other cars ((am-bio dust bite-r, r7 turbo, zipper R,) those give you a choice of RL params, or RC params.

So in the end, itd just be nice to have a way to switch between them.

@Manmountain

Long time no speaky indeed!

You basically hit the nail on the head. It's about preferred driving style.
AM-Bio Design Car and Level Design.
Don't let the car drive you. You drive the car. - American Motors Bio Motto

American Motors Bio
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 am

Well, that's exactly what I suggested in the first place. Have parameters.txt, parameters2.txt etc., just like car skins are handled now.

Greetz,
Ato
Adamodell

Unread post by Adamodell » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:23 pm

Ato wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 am Well, that's exactly what I suggested in the first place. Have parameters.txt, parameters2.txt etc., just like car skins are handled now.

Greetz,
Ato
What's fascinating is I had the same idea of using up and down arrow on the car select to choose between different params. It'd be somewhat like a kart racer that lets you choose different preset configurations for your vehicle. Right now, I'm simply doing the new folder with parameters that points to old folder's assets trick. Not bad, but not the best.

Another idea I have for such a feature is a new line in the parameters file to describe the parameters beyond the car-name. The creator or handling type kind of deal. I have cars with multiple parameters available and would like to do a thing where the parameter author is credited underneath the car name, or something. Just brainstorming.
Forums are dead, Jim.
My Website | RV Wiki | Steam | Bandcamp