Show track thumb image in-game

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
7wells

Show track thumb image in-game

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Hello Huki and contributors!

Is it possible to show a thumb image for the selected track in-game? By this I mean, when already a race is done and you return to the screen where you can select another track. See my (clumsy) proposal with the screen pasted below the red-framed box. This would be great as users don't remember what a track is like just when reading its name (and a few stats).

https://imgur.com/a/y7GWGPV

PS and a bit OT: Why can't I simply paste an image here in my post? It does not even work with the img tags.
7wells

Re: Show track thumb image in-game

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 am

@Huki and others
Sorry to bumb this. There have been many views but no comments from others. I wonder whether this is because I'M the only one who would be happy about its implementation, or whether I've maybe not described the problem enough. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:49 am

I'm fairly sure devs would have used the same (similar at least) UI track select layout as in frontend, but likely due to memory allocation (for loading track gfx) they probably went for the quickest implementation.
Texture load slots are different in frontend "level" from any race track.
Also another very important thing to point out is that gfx images need to be displayed on a special TV object, they don't appear out of thin air, and ofc they don't really work during races (besides showing a single image if track maker does it right).

I suppose the closest example for showing static and changing texture images for menus is from the gallery, so perhaps tiny part of it could be reused in handling it, still needs new transitions or something, since you couldn't rely on TV anymore.

@PS: Make sure to use direct link (URL ending with .jpg), otherwise forum won't recognize it.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<

Unread post by 607 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:32 pm

I don't think this is necessary. It also wouldn't be too easy to implement, as Vaid went into. Note that the tv object always shows the most recently selected track, even if another track is being played (because of someone else picking, or Random Tracks being on).
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:02 pm

@Huki
I don't understand the technical aspects. Is it really impossible to show a track mini image of the track that is selected before the next race is started? It doesn't need to appear in that already available TV frame. For casual players, it's currently impossible to really know what they pick, as they only see the track's name, length, and difficulty (the latter often "unknown"). It would be a great feature to see the track's mini image.
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:25 pm

TL;DR: Not impossible. The current implementation is the quickest and less risky in breaking the game.
With time and source code you could do almost anything, it's all about feature set priorities and whether it's worth spending more time on more difficult implementation and then debugging it.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<