RVGL Android Lighting/Shader Bug

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
salo

RVGL Android Lighting/Shader Bug

Unread post by salo » Wed May 04, 2022 12:45 pm

At first Hi to everyone and props to all the Devs for their work !

I have been using RVGL for Android since 2019 on my Oneplus 6T (RVGL Build 20.0930a) and it worked with no flaws.
Now i have switched to a Samsung S22 (Exynos Version) and used the "old" RVGL-Datafolder from my Oneplus and copied it to my S22. I installed the newest RVGL Build 21.0930a-1 and immediately noticed something is kinda wrong. So i uinstalled RVGL 21.0920a-1 and installed RVGL Build 20.0930a from my Oneplus,nothing changed. I also uninstalled the Apk and deleted the RVGL-Folder complete and tried the Android Version from re-volt.oi (Build 21.0930a-1) with all the needed files to make sure mine arent broken for some reason, but it didnt help. Then i changed the Screensettigs of the Samsung (Darkmode on/off, all Screenmodes and 60/120Hz) but it also didnt help.

At last i also changed the following settings in the rvgl.ini to test a little bit:

MirrorFlag = 1
ShadowFlag = 1
LightFlag = 1
RippleFlag = 0
InstanceFlag = 1
SkidFlag = 1
EffectFlag = 0
ScreenBpp = 16
ScreenHz = 120
Profile = 2
Shaders = 1
ShaderLights = 8
ShaderShadows = 4
ShaderEffects = 4
EnableFBO = 0
EnableUBO = 0
EnableSSO = 1

I tried a lot different settings here but nothing helped.

As you can see the (i think) lighting is kinda broken and not displayed correct, i searched a lot in the forum, but didnt found something that helped me.

Here are some Pictures and Logs/Configs.

Samsung S22:
► S22 Logs
► S22 rvgl.ini

Oneplus 6T
► Oneplus6T Logs
► Oneplus6T rvgl.ini

I hope these infos help and maybe someone can help me with my problem.
If you need more infos just ask :)
Huki
Developer

Re: RVGL Android Lighting/Shader Bug

Unread post by Huki » Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 pm

The device has Samsung's new Xclipse 920 GPU. Surprisingly, Samsung is not providing a native OpenGL driver for this GPU. Instead, it's using the ANGLE translation layer to convert an application's OpenGL rendering code to Vulkan. On Android, we use 16-bit RGB565 framebuffers for performance reasons. This looks like an issue with ANGLE's handling of 16-bit colors.

Just to rule out other possibilities, have you enabled any developer options on your phone previously, or changed any settings related to the graphics driver?
salo

Unread post by salo » Wed May 04, 2022 7:53 pm

Hello and thanks for the fast response !

No the Phone is straight out of the box and fully updated but i didnt do nothing in or with the developer options and graphic drivers.

I also tried to use all the different OpenGL Profiles in the rvgl.ini because i read that the D3D Profile has something to do with ANGLE but that didnt work, it always switched back to the ES profile.

That would have been too easy i guess :roll:
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Thu May 05, 2022 3:17 pm

salo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:53 pm I also tried to use all the different OpenGL Profiles in the rvgl.ini because i read that the D3D Profile has something to do with ANGLE but that didnt work, it always switched back to the ES profile.
ANGLE has different uses on different platforms. On Windows, it can convert OpenGL code to Direct3D. We support that as an option on Windows, but it's nothing to do with Android. Anyway, this is the first time I've seen a GPU vendor officially using ANGLE in their graphics driver. ;)

I'm going to prepare an Android build with upgraded SDL2. We'll see if that fixes it.
salo

Unread post by salo » Sat May 07, 2022 7:31 pm

Would be nice if this works! :)

And for anyone wondering, this isnt really a gamebreaker gameplay wise in my opinion because the performance on the S22 ist still very good and these "bugs" are only in certain spots on some maps.

When there is any way that I can help you with testing if you don't have the opportunity yourself, just let me know.