AI nodes issue

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
L17

AI nodes issue

Unread post by L17 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:57 pm

Hello!

I would like some explanation about how AI paths work in RVGL.
-gazzasaiinfo allows to visualize where the car is located on the AI path thanks to a blue outline
(or a red outline when the player leaves the AI path).

In picture 1, I'm racing on the bottom AI path as intended:

In picture 2, I decide to leave the bottom AI path.
I would expect the game to say that I'm in the OUTISDE NODE state, but it activates the top AI path instead:

This means I can teleport my way up the staircase by repositioning (picture 3):

First I thought that the game only has a top view of AI paths and ignores elevation changes,
so I left the top AI path and expected the bottom AI path to be activated, but I'm in the OUTSIDE NODE state (picture 4):

I did a lot of testing with stock tracks but can't figure out what's happening.
I also noticed the "chunks" of AI nodes outlined in green around the car's position, it seems to play a role in all of this:

I already encountered a similar problem with StadVolt, but I just moved the nodes around until it magically worked.
This time I need to understand how the game works to eliminate this reposition issue.

Thanks in advance.
L17
Keyran

Re: AI nodes issue

Unread post by Keyran » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:52 pm

Hello!
Is the whole area covered by only one track zone? If yes, split it into smaller zones and make sure the zone on the bottom path is different from the zone on the top path.
I 'm not sure a difference of 1 between the IDs will solve your issue, but with a difference of 2 it should work.
Re-Volter since 2004 and creator since 2020.
L17

Unread post by L17 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:44 am

Keyran wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:52 pm make sure the zone on the bottom path is different from the zone on the top path.
I 'm not sure a difference of 1 between the IDs will solve your issue, but with a difference of 2 it should work.
The bottom and top paths were separated by 1 track zone when the problem appeared.
I thought it was good enough so I removed the track zones from the equation.
I can confirm that a difference of 2 track zones between the paths solves the issue.

Thanks Keyran! :re-volt:

Unread post by 607 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:26 pm

If by 'separated by 1 track zone' you mean that the track zone on the top path was one higher than the track zone of the bottom path, that doesn't work, because of course you can always go from a track zone to the track zone one number above it; that's what you're supposed to do. :)
Great to hear that you're working on Re-Volt again!
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:31 am

If creating two alternate AI paths then always ensure you have corresponding track zones that meet up in proper sequence as to maintain the full lap count.