Main Menu: Visual Discrepancies between Vanilla Re-Volt and RVGL

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
OpenRift

Main Menu: Visual Discrepancies between Vanilla Re-Volt and RVGL

Unread post by OpenRift » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Was testing out an asset swap I was making for the RVGL Logo to a HD Re-Volt logo when I noticed some graphical discrepances between the vanilla game's main menu and RVGL's main menu. Here are some screenshots to compare.

These are mostly just nitpicks, but I thought I'd point them out anyway since they could be affecting how custom content is rendered as well.

Vanilla
https://imgur.com/J7S1NuX

RVGL
https://imgur.com/yE7BzAk

Notable Differences:
- Reflections in vanilla RV have more depth
- Name Input wheel stand's shininess behaves differently
- FOV is just a tiny bit wider
- Box around menu is smaller
VaidX47
Administrator

Re: Main Menu: Visual Discrepancies between Vanilla Re-Volt and RVGL

Unread post by VaidX47 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:56 pm

Minor differences like these are expected. Speaking in source port terms, RVGL is more akin to ZDoom, meaning it won't be a vanilla experience.

The closest to vanilla from the community in terms of functionality would be 1.2 beta patch (rv1.2b11.0208), it retains old font style, UI, AI, battery/electricity effect on cars, and most importantly is still running on the original DirectX API.

Menu margins were tweaked to better fit the newly added menu items throughout multiple updates, and increase the max displayed char limit per text line in other areas. Graphical differences are potentially caused by the shader renderer or overall how OpenGL works (could also try legacy renderer, using "-noshader" launch command). In any case, I'm not expecting it to render the exact same way, as 1.1 and 1.2 are using a completely different graphics API.

Regarding shininess on name wheel in the distance, I'm fairly sure it is simply not rendered as that was hard coded limitation in 1.1. 1.2 and above increased the maximum limit that is accessible under the render settings menu.

The only thing I was not aware of are minor FOV differences, although that could also be sloppy widescreen tweaks in GOG/Steam versions. Might wanna compare that with 1207 1.1 + WolfR4 with widescreen patch, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's also introduced in RVGL.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<