car texture issue in Rooftops

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
ikonomov

car texture issue in Rooftops

Unread post by ikonomov » Mon May 01, 2023 6:59 pm

I'm currently using 21.0930a-1 and I noticed that when racing on Rooftops the car texture sometimes turns black when in shadows. Image
G_J

Re: car texture issue in Rooftops

Unread post by G_J » Mon May 01, 2023 10:21 pm

This is a problem with the level itself from launch as far as I know.
Because the track is set at night, the developers set the following line in the .inf file.
MODELRGBPER 35
This darkens the models original gouraud/vertex colors to 35% so the RC cars look darker. The problem is shadow boxes work by darkening the model colors too, so by combining these effects it causes the model to turn pure black. This building is the only one with a shadow box, which is why it only shows up here.

I fixed it on my end by replacing the shadowbox with a few dark omni-lights in editor mode
It's not perfect, but it looks a whole lot better I think. If you or anyone is interested you can send me a direct message on Discord and I can give you the lighting file for this track (levels/roof/roof.lit) so you don't have to spend a tedious amount of time trying to recreate this omni setup.
ikonomov

Re: car texture issue in Rooftops

Unread post by ikonomov » Thu May 04, 2023 6:39 pm

I believe that this issue happened to me somewhere in the museum as well, though I think it wasn't completely black and there was a tiny bit of color left. Still, the change had nearly the same effect, making the texture completely unrecognizable. I wonder if it would be possible to globally adjust some of those darkening values for the shadows affect.