RVGL on Android

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
7wells

Re: RVGL on Android

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:23 pm

@Huki
Is it possible to replace the "tap screen" by "press A" to start an online game? This would be in line with the general control throughout the various menus and help players on no-touch devices like Android TV, Fire TV, and other Android devices connected to an external screen. Thanks a lot for giving this a thought. :)
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Hello, any hints about my last question here? Thank you! :)
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:43 pm

@Huki
I hope my message finds you well. Surely, you have more urgent things to do and have a real life, too. ;)
Can you please let us know if/approximately when an Android version of RVGL with splitscreen mode will be available? Is development for Android still active? Thank you so much - and all the best to you and everybody for 2021!
Gonckzilla

Unread post by Gonckzilla » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:12 pm

Split-screen would sure be awesome to have on Android. It's honestly one of the things I was looking forward to the most when I installed it, but I've severely enjoyed the game anyways without it :)

Overall thanks for all your work on this port, development might be inactive, maybe not, either way the state the game is right now on android is just awesome.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Yep, it is - and we can play on different devices against each other, even cross-platform. :D
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 am

Huki wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm RVGL is now available on Android based devices (phones, tablets, etc). It should work on any recent Android device, technically 3.1 and newer, supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit ARM and x86 targets. A GPU supporting at least OpenGL ES 2.0 is required. However, it can be made to run on OpenGL ES 1.1 by using the legacy fixed pipeline renderer.
Hello Huki!

May I suggest adding the following quick steps to install RVGL on Android devices in your first post?
  • On your PC, download latest Android apk from there (should be an apk file, rvgl_21.0125a_android.apk at the time of writing this), copy/move it to your Android device, and start RVGL on your Android device. As necessary game data are missing (see next step), an error message will be shown. Click through the next possible steps in the game and exit it. Thus, some necessary folders and files are created on your Android device.
  • On your PC, download necessary games files from there.
  • On your PC, optionally download Dreamcast soundtrack from there.
  • On your PC, optionally download Dreamcast "Rooftops" track and additional cars from there.
  • On your PC, optionally download further content (loading screens, cars, car skins, tracks, music) from there.
  • On your PC, unpack files (except the apk file, which is already on your Android device).
  • From your PC, move unpacked content to your Android device to the RVGL game folder*.
    Attention: Make sure that you do not overwrite any of the existing files in that folder, i.e. say "No" if asked to replace files. *The game folder can be one of these (please check on your Android device, which one it is):

Code: Select all

/sdcard/RVGL
    /storage/sdcard0/RVGL
    /storage/sdcard1/RVGL
    /storage/emulated/legacy/RVGL
    /storage/emulated/0/RVGL
    /storage/emulated/1/RVGL
    /storage/extSdCard/RVGL

• On your Android device, start RVGL and enjoy the game. :)
Does this makes sense to you, too, and is it correct? It seems to work for me. ;) Thanks for your kind consideration.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 am

Even easier is downloading one complete apk (including original game content and soundtrack) from there. :) See installation notes for further background information.

EDIT:
Keep in mind that rvgl_assets content must overwrite game_files content (game_files is older, rvgl_xyz is newer). As for the other packs, they can be extracted in any order.
leonardoplay

Unread post by leonardoplay » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:18 pm

port working good for me, tested on an lg k50 and it works :)